teach me your way, Lord, that I may rely on your faithfulness; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name... psalm 86:11

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

a time for every season...

I’m kind of new to the blog world… I tend to be a few years behind on these sorts of things… but I’ve definitely developed an appreciation for the community, the encouragement, and the inspiration that can come from reading about others’ lives and passions. There are two blogs in particular that I’ve grown fond of- both belonging to author’s that I have recently read. I have found that their journeys through life and faith have multiple resemblances to my own journey… I feel like I should be friends with them… but that’s kinda stalkerish…

A reoccurring theme for both of these writers is embracing the ebb and flow of the seasons in our lives. Funny thing is, this same idea has been apparent in conversations that I’ve had with dear friends lately too. Not necessarily knowing (or even liking) what the heck God is up to in our lives, our relationships, our jobs, our worlds… but trying to accept where we’re at and allow ourselves to fully experience the good that is there anyways. This is a hard thing to do sometimes. I think that’s why we need each other to do life with.
One of the writers has claimed Ecclesiastes 3:11 as her life verse… “[God] has made everything beautiful in its time. He also has planted eternity in men's hearts and minds, a divinely implanted sense of purpose working through the ages which nothing under the sun but God alone can satisfy…” A good reminder. A hopeful reminder.

The truth is, every chapter of life we find ourselves in has a purpose, even the tough ones. The first eight verses of Ecclesiastes 3 that lead up to this “life mantra” list fourteen diverse spectrums of life seasons- death, life, crying, laughing, holding on, letting go… we have the whole experiential gambit here. And it doesn’t say that some of these are bad and some are good- instead, it says that they each have their place. This causes tension in me, because I don’t want to be broken or mourn or lose things; I want comfort and ease. But God says that these are the seasons that develop perseverance, character, and hope in us. They help grow and mature us.

If I had to label the season I’ve been in recently, I would say it is one of wandering and relinquishing. It’s been hard and I’ve had a few breakdowns- but what keeps me going is knowing that God is not through with me yet, and this isn’t the final stop for my life. Another season is just around the corner…

May we recognize the season of life that we are in, and not only learn from it but rejoice in it… may we claim God’s promise that He will make all things beautiful in His timing…

No comments:

Post a Comment