teach me your way, Lord, that I may rely on your faithfulness; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name... psalm 86:11

Friday, December 9, 2011

written on His hand...

In the whirlwind of post-it note reminders and long to-do lists… especially in this crazy holiday season… there is this golden rule: If it’s REALLY important, you write it on your hand. Papers get lost in the shuffle or accidently thrown away, but that sharpie on your skin will last as a permanent reminder. {and beware- it might show up on your face at some point if you like to sleep with your hands up by your cheeks at night… just saying…} Things of the utmost importance belong written on our hands…

One of my favorite verses lately has been Isaiah 49:16… It comes from a chapter that speaks of the restoration that God brings, and after it states the fact that God does not forget His people, we read this:


The word engraved literally means tattooed… God has your name tattooed on His hand. Of course it’s a poetic description not intended to be taken literally, but it paints this picture that we are always in God’s sight and close to Him. We are loved and important in His eyes. He remembers us... and I think that’s why I like this verse. It reminds me that I’m never forgotten and always close…

This fits with the theme of this advent season… that God is near us and that He loves us with an extraordinary love that He goes to extremes to show us. Out of this love He sent us Jesus… Immanuel, God with us... who's hands would one day be pierced and nailed to a cross for us.

May we bask in this extravagent love and find peace in the knowledge that we are written on God's hands...

4 comments:

  1. Hi Denise - this is beautiful. Love how it shows how precious we are to God that we are 'tatooed' on His hands. Our sin on the hands of His Son. Great post
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooooooooooooo very thankful His love forever holds me in the palm of HIS hand-

    Beautiful words (and truth!) here,-
    ~Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denise,
    I didn't know engraved meant tatooed. That makes this verse even more meaningful. I guess I think of engraved as a more temporary thing, tatooed seems to scream of making it permanent.

    ps I need to start writing things on my hands. Although, I would totally run out of room.

    ReplyDelete